Presentation Details

The Fourth International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organisations

A Systematic Approach for Continuing Professional Development and Knowledge Management in Technical Institutions of India

Rakesh Wats.


The implementation of World Bank Assisted Project for Strengthening Technician Education in India and other similar initiatives taken by Govt. of India from time to time has brought significant changes in the technical education system of the country. The changes include structures, systems and processes. New institutions and courses were started. A lot of equipment was purchased for modernization of laboratories and workshops. Many innovations were implemented resulting in improvement in capacity, quality, efficiency and effectiveness of the technical education system. In addition to new look of institutions, the role of faculty have also broadened. Their primary role of teaching has been supplemented by the activities of Curriculum Development, Continuing Education, Development of Instruction Resources, Rural and Community Development, Facilitator in Navigating New knowledge etc. The handling of new technologies and latest equipments and undertaking new areas of work demands their continuous up-gradation and development.

The prevailing system of faculty development, in technical institutions, needs a total overhaul. The policy of selection and development based on hunch needs to change with a systematic approach of identification of continuing education & training needs based on the individual’s professional requirements, requirements of occupation and the future vision of the institution. Emphasis needs to be on continuous learning.

In addition to development of knowledge, there is also the need of new knowledge management at the institute level to avoid duplicacy of efforts and efficient and effective utilisation of experiences gained. At present, most of the institutions do not have any systematic method of knowledge management. Only 20% of the knowledge within the institutions is being used productively. An institution which can tap the remaining 80% of knowledge can have a competitive and professional edge over the others. It is especially true in today’s context when knowledge has become the key resource and the dominant and perhaps the only source of competitive advantage.

In this paper an attempt has been made to present a systematic approach to continuing professional development and knowledge management in technical institutions for improving the competency and quality of the technical manpower in India.

Presenters

Rakesh Wats  (India)
Lecturer
Continuing Education Centre and Media Centre
TTTI


Keywords
  • n/a



(30 min. Conference Paper, English)